Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Day of the Gavel




Well, I'm sure your curiousity is peaked, the day of the gavel might be making you wonder if I have left me civilized and refined law abiding was to be a criminal. Well, gladly, the answer is no! Though if you would have seen me on Monday mourning, you may have begun to question me!
My story begins approx. three months ago when one night at dusk I was making my way to my brother and sister-in-laws apartment which is just across the river. As I got onto the on ramp of the freeway, I noticed that there was a line of cars inching alon over the bridge, obviously an accident had occured, which isn't to uncommon, especially on the Blue Bridge. Anyways....as I was speeding up, I suddently realized that a car was just sitting in the middle of the onramp before I realized it, I slamed on my brakes and slid to a halt, my car now sitting at an angel to his car. Then all of a sudden, he started backing up, and me not even thinking about using the horn just sat wide eyed as he backed into to passenger side of my car. (You may think it weird that it was the side of my car, but because I slamed on my brakes, I was sitting crooked in the road.) Anyways... the area I live in is highly populated by hispanics, some who can speak English, and others who cant. Well, this man couldn't so his grandaughter became the translator. Nothing really was said between the two of us, which is good.
Anyways...I immedietly called my dad, (in retrospect I shold have just called the police first) whi decided that it be best for him to come to the scene of the accident. During the time, a youg man stopped to see if he could help. He proceeded to take some pictures with his phone while I called the police. When the police lady arrived, I told her my side of the accident and I think he told her his. After going back to her car and doing whatever they do in there, she came out and told me I could proceed across the bridge. (Ugh....now I had to face a whole line of traffic because of two other accidents that had happened)
Well, anyways. About a month or so ago, possibly longer, a police officer came to the door of our house with a piece of paper stating that I had been supeonad (sp) to court. So, in court this last monday I had to appear in court. I was quite nervous. My mother graciously meet me there. What a relief. While I was waiting my turn to be called up, we were able to watch everyone else who had a court date that day be given their sentence by the judge. Most of them were speeding tickets, men-women abuse issues, as well as substance abbuse issues. Also, the really interesting thing was that there was a whole line of jail convicts who were sitting there all shackled and waiting for their turn. Of course my trila was last, but ahh well.
Anyways, I was sworn in and then placed on the witness stand where I proceeded to tell the court what had taken place on that fateful night. Then the hispanic man was given a chance to ask me questions. Because of the language barrier, he was given an interpreter. Instead of asking me questions though he started blaming me for running into him. The judge was quite frustrated as this was infringment on was he was supposed to do, which was ask me question. So, after about 20 times of the judge asking him to JUST ask questions and him not obeying. She finally told him that if he wanted to push his case he would have to higher a lawyer and take me to the next court up some other time.
So, Lord willing that wont happen. Hopefully he will just realize thatit was his fault and give up.
But I must say, it was a rather interesting experience, and one not very many people get to experience themselves.

So, there's my story of the week! I hope you enjoyed it!

2 comments:

Alice said...

That's awful, Laura! New experiences are kind of fun, though. I hope you win!

Olivia Joy said...

OH! I am so sorry. I am very glad you weren't hurt!!! We will pray he doesn't decide to take it further!